Accompass, a division of Gallagher Benefit Services (Canada) Group Inc. is an organization that provides consulting services in the areas of Compensation, Benefits & Health, and Investment & Retirement for companies across Canada and worldwide.
Our Benefits & Health practice is growing and Accompass now seeks an experienced full-time Technical Consultant to assist with its Benefits & Health practice.
If you have the character and personality to work with a strong team of personable and successful individuals, and if you enjoy the challenges of this changing field, then Accompass’s environment will support and nurture your professional development and success. Poised for ambitious growth, there has never been a better time to be part of the team.
Working closely with the client manager, the incumbent will provide technical support to Benefits and Health clients who are predominately mid- to large-size companies across Canada. This position directly supports the organization’s objective providing a superior level of financial and plan design advice.
The Technical Consultant will work both independently and with a team to review, analyze, market, and provide recommendations on overall plan design and utilization. The position includes the many detailed and broad functions involved in renewing, auditing, and marketing group benefit plans, both on a daily basis and according to project timelines.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with clients and underwriters
- Understand and communicate what technical action steps belong to the underwriter and to Accompass
- Analyze and prepare assessments for flex or traditional group renewals
- Review, analyze, and confirm insurer-prepared financial statements for organizations with different funding arrangements (insured, retention, self-funded)
- Discuss funding recommendations with client manager
- Collect and review proposals from insurers (marketing responses)
- Prepare and discuss projections of various financial plan designs
- Evaluate and judge the similarities, differences, and capabilities of the various underwriters
- Assist client manager in proactively marketing new products, services, and tools to existing clients to improve the value of their benefit investment or decrease service costs
- Prepare for and assist in semi-annual and/or annual reviews with plan sponsor
- Prepare quarterly experience reports
- Utilize underwriter partners, where appropriate
- Support the client manager and work with cross-functional team to:
- Prepare for pre-sale prospect meetings and presentations
- Assist in client-specific responses to Requests for Proposal
What You Bring
Knowledge / Skills:
- Minimum 5 years of underwriting or technical experience gathered at an insurance company and/or consulting firm on a broad range of underwriting and funding philosophies
- Thorough, up-to-date knowledge of Canadian benefits industry
- Post-secondary education and related group benefit courses preferred, such as CEBS
- Excellent mathematical and analytical skills
- Ability to express technical aspects of group insurance in report and letter format
- Strong planning and time management skills
- Able to handle multiple priorities within a dynamic environment
- Microsoft Office – Excel, Word and PowerPoint skills required
- Strong analytical and diagnostic skills
- Strategic thinker
- Can negotiate towards a “win-win”
- Personal effectiveness
- Quality written and oral communications
- Customer focused
- Dedicated team player
- Works effectively and positively with internal team as well as with insurer’s service and underwriter representatives
- May be asked to be team leader on projects
Please email your resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Technical Consultant” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted. No telephone inquiries or agencies please.
We are an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace and are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.